Additional Assistance from Bethan Holt
1. Gareth Pugh is to create a range of make-up with MAC. Gareth has been extremely canny and global about his trajectory from gothic costume designer at London Fashion Week to a junior global player with mens and womens shows in Paris and events in Florence as well as his brilliant fashion film presentations with ShowStudio. Though he now sells his collection globally, Gareth admits he still grapples with the commerciality of creativity in fashion.
'If you, as a fashion designer, you do shows but you don’t sell, it kind of becomes a bit of a vanity project,’ he admitted recently. ‘You know, that’s kind of how I started and that’s how I got going but... the two need each other, business and creativity. I’ve made my peace with that.' (Elle.uk.com)
So who is Gareth Pugh for Mac Make-Up for? And what will it do for the person wearing it? "You put on make-up and your transform yourself, " Gareth told Alex Fury in a ShowStudio.com film last year "from something that you are, to something that you want to be. The crux of what we do, I think, is selling people a dream to be something they haven't been before. As a designer I don't sell things that complement a lifestyle [laughs a bit to self] I create things that make your lifestyle a little bit more interesting." Hear hear to that! I'm very much looking forward to seeing what is revealed next month in New York when Mac and Gareth Pugh unveil their collaboration in make-up.
Meanwhile, here is a Pugh/Box look
2. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen is to go on show this Summer at Buckingham Palace. I wonder if it is the actual gown, or a back-up? From 23rd July buy tickets from http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/
3. Frida Giannini 4 Florence Welch. Frida, (she who created the most copied AW11 collection), has long been talking about how much she adores Florence. She cited her as inspiration for her Autumn/winter 2011 show and as a muse for her Spring 2011 show too and now lo! she is to "design" Florence Welch's tour outfits! Though looking at the sketches, these are exits lifted directly from her AW11 show. They are perfect for the very leggy Florence, and will look brilliant on stage where Fl ouses her legs to maximum effect. Don't think those fabulous T-Bar shoes will stay on for long. Flo likes to go barefoot..
|Some of Frida's designs (from People.com)|
|Mary's designs for her Pablo Bronstein collaboration (From Vogue.co.uk)|
5. Hussein Chalayan changes name of his company to CHALAYAN and launches diffusion line
|A Chalayan design collaboration with Swarovski (from Independent.co.uk)|
6. Update on Prada's market plans
|The Power of Prada- Anna Wintour in the now iconic skirt from the SS11 collection|
8. I know its week old news, but the new Fashion East line-up is looking good, and I wanted to share
|Laura Bailey wearing James Long SS11|
|See more of denim design duo Marques'Almeida at their site|
|I love Maarten Van Der Horst's fun Hawaiian frou-frou collections. See more here|
9. Helena Bonham-Carter is the new face of Marc by Marc Jacobs. I KNEW her fashion moment was coming when her madcap outfits started to look cool to me about five months ago.
|Helena Bonham Carter has her best fashion moment yet, shot by Juergen Teller for Marc Jacobs (Image from CatwalkQueen.tv)|
|Carmen shot by Ruven for Vanity Fair Italy in March (from Models.com)|
11.New Duran Duran super video...Everyone remembers George Michael's Freedom video which starred all the supermodels of the 1990s. Now, Duran Duran are releasing a new single and have gathered together Naomi Campbell and Cindy Crawford for a video and cover shoot for Harper's Bazaar. The cherry on the cake is that Dolce Gabbana are doing the clothes... WE CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE RESULTS!
|Dolce and Gabbana with Naomi, Helena, Eva, Yasmin and Cindy. For more pics see Stefano Gabbana's Tumblr|
|Hils has a chat with an even more diminutive version of herself, a puppet created by Matches and gifted by Tom and Ruth Chapman (from 10magazine.com)|
|Kate Phelan at the shows (from showstudio.com)|
|Kate Phelan's previous styling for Topshop campaigns (from CLMUS.COM)|